Waterford Yacht Club Newsletter – May 2022
Red Fish Island Clam Bake Fleet Captain Russell Parrish took the high winds and Coast Guard small craft advisory seriously and limited the event to an onshore gathering at Pavilion A. Directors Sean McDaniel and Pilar Giron helped make the sudden change of plans work so that almost 30 members could enjoy good company and grilled foods including Oysters Rockefeller.
Arabian Nights Dance Class – Social Director Pilar Giron arranged a unique yacht club party for us. We were entertained by a belly dancer who dipped and spun all around Pavilion B. She performed the scimitar sword dance of death and during an Arabian line dance even got the men to “shake it”. Arabian style foods were also served to make it a great thematic party.
Happy Hour – The month of May began with a Happy Hour gathering in Pavilion B. Participating members enjoyed the warm evening outside.
On the Horizon
WYC Freeport Cruise, Poker Run & Regatta – Fleet Captain Russell Parish is arranging a great event for WYC. The basic outline looks like this:
- Wednesday, June 8 7:00 PM: Skippers Meeting at Sundance Grill II Members Room. Pick up the first poker run card.
- Thursday, June 9: Depart Waterford Harbor and arrive in Galveston at your leisure. Places to stay: Harbor House/Pier 21, Galveston Yacht Basin, Pelican Rest, Moody Gardens, etc. Impromptu dinner and drinks at a place in downtown Galveston. Pick up your second card for the poker run.
- Friday, June 10: Depart Galveston Island and head for Bridge Harbor Yacht Club and Marina in Freeport. We have 6 slips under Waterford Harbor Yacht Club at this time. Offshore Regatta from Galveston South Jetty to Freeport East Jetty. Dinner at Captain’s Table Restaurant, pick up your third poker run card and scoring and prize for regatta.
- Saturday, June 11: Depart Bridge Harbor and head for Moody Gardens (plenty of availability as of 5/22). Play at Moody Gardens facilities. Potluck on the pier, pick up remaining card(s) for the poker run and play your hand.
- Sunday, June 12: Depart Offatts Bayou and head for home at your leisure.
- Note: members must make individual marina slip reservations which include providing your insurance declaration page.
Happy Hour (Friday June 10 6:30pm Pavilion B) Should you be at the marina on Friday evening stop by for a happy hour social. Our HH tend to be informal and BYOB.
Pancake Breakfast (Sunday June 26th 9:00am – 11:00am) WYC is serving up the best breakfast you’ve ever had at WHM. Stop by Pavilion B for a stack of flapjacks, mimosas and the latest news at WHM.
Port of Houston Tour Cruise (Tuesday July 12, 5:30-7:30) WYC has signed-up for the free PORT OF HOUSTON TOUR CRUISE. Past Commodore and POH captain Robert Donley has also arranged for a special speaker to outline the Port Project 11 expansion. Attendance is limited to 55 so respond to the recent Evite with your “YES” and a list of guests. Arrive at the Port of Houston 7300 Clinton Drive, Gate #8, Houston TX at 5:30pm for check-in.
Volunteers – WYC’s 2022 agenda is happening and your support with social, education or fleet events is needed. Contact Commodore Chris Lamson or Vice Commodore Daven Voorhies (firstname.lastname@example.org) regarding participation.
-Daven Voorhies, WYC Vice Commodore