Avast, me hearties, Waterford Yacht Club! Fall has arrived at Waterford Harbor and to prove it, we’ve started the month with The Harvest Moon Regatta and will end it with the Scary Birthday Bash this month! See below for more WYC news!
Picture: Lakewood Yacht Club Flags (Plus one?)
On The Horizon: The Month Ahead
Upcoming events: Watch for and respond to evites!
- WYC Board Meeting: October 14 – 9:00 am to 10:00 am
- WYC Birthday Bash: October 28 – 6:00 pm
- November Happy Hour: November 3 – 6:00 pm to 9:00 pm
Remember to check the calendar on the web site for more information on all scheduled events! https://www.waterfordyc.com/event-calendar/
Scary Birthday Bash to be Held October 28th:
Happy Birthday, Waterford Yacht Club!!
Save the date and start to prepare your scary pirate outfit or any other costume because we are throwing a birthday party for WYC! The party will be held at Waterford Harbor Yacht Club and Marina. Details to be shared in the coming weeks.
Please be on the lookout for the following new members and welcome them to the club!
Name Boat Name Boat Location
- Jeff and Anne Peterson S/V Wind Dancer Pier 11, Slip 37
Visit the website URL: http://www.waterfordyc.com for information on joining or renewing your membership.
Under the Keel: Scuttlebutt and Rumor
Lakewood Yacht Club 2017 Harvest Moon Regatta:
October 5 -7, the 2017 edition of the Lakewood Yacht Club Harvest Moon Regatta was run – this year from Galveston to….Galveston due to the devastation Harvey visited on the beautiful Port Aransas which is the usual destination. Part of the proceeds of the Regatta this year are going towards Harvey relief in Port Aransas.
Congratulation to all the WYC vessels and participants this year!
- S/V Point of Beginning: 1st place in their division plus Catalina Manufacturer’s Trophy! Doug
and Mishelle Catenaci and crew including Daven Voorhies, Steve Barry, and Anne Wilcox. Picture below.
- S/V Mischief: Luna award for all women crew. Boat owners John and Nancy Welch. Picture below.
- S/V Neon Moon: Second in division. Joe and Sheri Wyers and crew. Picture right: Joe Wyers readying S/V Neon Moon.
- S/V Archangel: 5th place in division despite of mechanical disaster – boat dismasted – nobody injured.
Known to be among the fleet and crews are Brad Scott aboard S/V Force Majeure, and Scott Stillman on S/V Topaz. There were many more Waterford Harbor Marina neighbors and Peanut Regatta competitors participating, including:
- S/V Sunshine Hippie: First in division. Picture at right.
- Escape Hatch: First place in class in division.
- Escondida: Second place in division.
- Paradise: Second place in division.
- Osprey: Third in division.
- Longhawk: fourth in division.
- S/V Astarte
- S/V Restless
Electrical System Seminar Packs the House!:
There is great interest among the sailors of WYC in the mysteries of marine electronics. Thanks to WYC’s own Sergei Sharonov, who is an electrical engineer and rewired his own sailboat. Sergei spoke to a packed house back on September 9th in the WYC member’s room.
Pictures: Left: Sergei Sharanov expounds on the basics of the marine electrical system. Below: WYC Members attend Electrical Seminar
Lakewood Yacht Club Hosts Waterford Yacht Club:
Lakewood Yacht Club hosted Waterford Yacht Club again this year over the weekend of September 23rd. A total of four boats made the long and perilous journey all the way across Clear Lake to represent WYC. A very cordial visit was enjoyed by members of both yacht clubs and absolutely no untoward pennant raising behavior was observed.
Now Hear This!
Did You Know??
The year long Peanut Regatta series competition continues! The results as of 10/6/2017 are listed below.